For 40 Macarons
1 hour of preparation and 12 minutes of cooking per macaron sheet
Preparation & Assembly
1. Sift the powdered sugar
2. Mix together the ground almonds and the sifted powdered sugar. Set aside.
3. Heat the sugar with the water up to 230F
4. Begin whipping half of egg whites on a stand mixer on med speed. Once they are at soft peaks, slowly pour the sugar syrup onto the beaten whites. Continue whipping until the mixture is lukewarm (around 115F).
5. Add the other half of unbeaten egg whites to the powdered sugar/ground almond mix and the coloring to this mixture, to create a paste.
6. Add the whipped egg whites into the paste mixture in three additions- the first mixing vigorously by hand to eliminate lumps. The second addition should be added more gently and the last amount folded in.
7. With a pastry bag fitted with a medium sized plain tip, pipe the shells (around an inch in diameter) on the baking sheet pan covered with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
8. Place in a 300F oven for around 12 minutes, turning carefully halfway through the baking.
Dark Chocolate Ganache
9. Bring the cream to a boil.
10. Melt the chocolate to 105F.
11. Gradually pour the cream over the melted chocolate in several additions, mixing well with a spatula before adding more liquid.
12. Pour into a shallow dish or pan and place plastic wrap directly on the surface of the ganache. Let the finished ganache set for a few hours in the refrigerator or overnight at room temperature.
13. When the ganache has set, pipe with a plain tip on the flat side of a macaron and stick another macaroon on top- press to sandwich together.