CHOCOLATE CREAM CUPS WITH STREUSEL
½ cup (131g) sugar
2 ½ TBSP (64g) corn syrup
3 ½ cups (850g) whole milk
2 ½ Tbsp (26g) cornstarch
2 Tbsp (30g) cold water
2 ea. (40g) egg yolks
2 Tbsp (34g) sugar
5 ¼ oz. (150g) Guanaja 70% Dark Chocolate
1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
¼ tsp (1.5g) fine sea salt
AN Whipped Cream
- Measure the corn syrup and put into a medium sauce pan. Heat over medium heat until the corn syrup begins to boil.
- As the corn syrup is heating, place the milk in a separate sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- Slowly add sugar for the caramel to the bubbling corn syrup, mixing to combine. Continue adding until all the sugar is in the pot.
- Continue cooking the sugar mixture over medium/low heat until it begins to change color and become yellow, stirring intermittently.
- When the caramel is very light golden brown, turn the heat off and allow to carry over cook to golden amber color.
- With the heat still off, stop the caramel cooking with the hot milk, adding only a small amount to stop the caramel first. Take care to avoid burns- caramel will bubble and can boil over if too much liquid is added too soon.
- Once the caramel has stopped bubbling, slowly stir in the rest of the hot milk and return to the heat. Cook over medium heat to melt any caramel, bringing back to a boil.
- Combine the cornstarch and cold water and mix to make a slurry.
- Combine the egg yolks and second quantity of sugar and whisk well. Add to the cornstarch slurry and whisk until smooth.
- Add a small amount of the hot caramel milk to the egg slurry mixture and whisk. Pour the mixture back into the pot of caramel milk, whisking constantly while slowly pouring.
- Continue whisking the mixture over medium/low heat until it begins to bubble and boil. Mixture will begin to thicken. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Partially melt Guanaja 70% Dark Chocolate in a microwave safe bowl, and add the hot pudding to the melted Guanaja 70% Dark Chocolate. Add in several additions, mixing well before adding more.
- Add the vanilla extract and sea salt. Process with an immersion blender until smooth. Immediately pour into glasses or dishes and refrigerate uncovered.
- Chill for at least 4 hours before serving.
- Combine all the dry ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.
- Cut the cold butter into small pieces and add to the dry mixture. Mix on medium/low speed until pea sized pieces are formed.
- Melt Guanaja 70% Dark Chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and add to the mix. Blend until combined, taking care not the overmix- the mix should be crumbly.
- Place on a parchment lined half sheet pan and bake at 325°F (160°C), mixing several times during baking, until thoroughly baked.
- Cool and store in an airtight container until ready to use.
Finishing and Assembly