PISTACHIO AND CHOCOLATE BAKLAVA
BAKLAVA AND NUT FILLING:
6 oz shelled pistachios, coarsely chopped
6 oz walnuts, coarsely chopped
2 oz almonds, finely chopped
5 oz Guanaja 70% chocolate feves, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon kosher salt
16 oz package phyllo dough, thawed
14 - 16 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup cold water
1 cup honey
3 whole cloves
1 lemon, juiced
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Prepare the Honey Syrup: Place the sugar and water in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar dissolves. Add the honey, and whole cloves; stir to mix. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and let simmer for about 25 minutes. Remove syrup from heat and let cool to lukewarm. Add lemon juice. Remove the whole cloves.
- Make the Nut Mixture: In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a blade, add the pistachios, walnut, and hazelnuts. Pulse a few times to chop. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and add sugar, cinnamon, and ground cloves. Mix well to combine.
- Prepare the Phyllo Pastry: Unroll the thawed phyllo pastry and place the sheets in between two clean kitchen towels. This will help keep the phyllo from breaking while you work.
- Prepare a 9” x 13” x 2” baking pan.
- Brush the interior of the baking pan with some of the melted butter.
- To assemble the baklava, take one sheet of phyllo and place it in the pan, fold the sheet in half if you need to make it fit.
- Brush the top of the phyllo sheet with the melted butter.
- Repeat this process a few more times until you have used up about 1/3 of the phyllo pastry, each layer being brushed with the melted butter.
- Now, distribute about ½ of the nut mixture evenly over the top layer of phyllo.
- Continue assembling the baklava, one sheet of phyllo pastry at a time using another 1/3 of the phyllo. Again, brush each layer with a bit of the melted butter.
- Distribute the remaining ½ of the nut mixture evenly over the top layer of phyllo.
- Finish the remaining 1/3 of the phyllo pastry following the same process, laying one folded sheet at a time and brushing each layer with melted butter. Brush the very top sheet of phyllo with butter.
- Cut the Baklava Pastry Into Pieces: Using a sharp knife, cut the pastry into 24 diamond shaped pieces (you can get up to 36 smaller pieces).
- Place the baking dish on the middle rack of your heated oven.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the top layer of the baklava turns deeply golden brown.
- As soon as you remove the baklava from the oven, pour the cooled syrup all over the hot baklava.
- Cool Completely: Allow the baklava to sit for a t least 1 hour before serving.
- Cut the baklava into pieces using the marked cuts as a guide.
- Top each piece with chopped pistachios as a garnish.