BRIOCHE FRENCH TOAST “PAIN PERDU” WITH PRALINÉ CRÉMEUX
An original recipe by L'École Gourmet Valrhona Chef Guillaume Roesz
Makes 8 to 10 Large Slices Of Brioche French Toast
250g pastry flour
15g fresh yeast
50% ALMOND HAZELNUT PRALINÉ CRÉMEUX:
35g whole milk
235g 50% Almond & Hazelnut Praliné
120g heavy cream
FRENCH TOAST MIX:
400g whole milk
600g heavy cream 36%
120g egg yolks
150g brown sugar
1 Vanilla bean
- Take the butter out of the refrigerator.
- Mix together all the ingredients apart from the butter.
- Knead in a stand mixer for approx. 10 minutes, then slowly incorporate the butter until the dough starts coming away from the bowl.
- Ideally, the dough temperature should be between 75°F and 77°F (24°C and 25°C) once it has been kneaded.
- Place the dough in a mixing bowl and cover with a clean cloth.
- Leave for no more than 2 hours to mature at room temperature to start the rising process and release the aroma precursors.
- Knock back the dough and spread it out onto a tray before covering with plastic wrap. Leave to stiffen overnight in the refrigerator.
- Cut into the desired shape and weight, then leave to rise for a maximum of 2 hours at 77°F (25°C). Glaze with egg yolk and bake at 338°F (170°C) in a fan-assisted oven.
50% Almond Hazelnut Praliné Cremeux:
- Heat the milk and add in the rehydrated gelatine (which you have soaked in cold water and drained).
- Gradually combine this mixture with the 50% Almond & Hazelnut Praliné. Add the chilled whipping cream and blend using a hand blender.
- Place this preparation in a mixing bowl and cover its surface with plastic wrap. Leave to set in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours.
French Toast Mix:
- Mix the ingredients together. Cover the surface with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator.
- Make the 50% Almond & Hazelnut Praliné crémeux mix and leave it to set for a few hours in the refrigerator
- Once it has been baked and cooled, cut the brioche into slices approx. 3cm thick.
- Pour the French toast mix into a dish and add the brioche slices.
- Cover the mix’s surface with plastic wrap and place another dish on top so that the brioche slices remain fully immersed.
- Store in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
- When you are ready to serve, melt the butter in a frying pan and gently place in the brioche slices.
- Brown each side thoroughly (fry for approx. 5 minutes on each side).
- If the butter darkens, remove it and repeat the operation.
- Arrange the praliné crémeux attractively on each plate and add 2 slices of brioche French toast.
*Chef’s tip: If you would like an alternative to praliné crémeux, diners with a taste for the finer things will enjoy a spoonful of praliné with their brioche French toast slices.
Validate your login
Or Sign In With
Create New Account