ALMOND CITRUS GINGERBREAD
1/2 cup (113g) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup (109g) packed dark brown sugar
2 ea (100g) large eggs
1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
1/2 cup (160g) molasses
1/2 cup (111g) hot water
2 cups (240g) all-purpose flour
1 tsp (6.6g) baking soda
3 tsp (6g) ground ginger
2 tsp (4g) ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp (1g) ground cloves
1/2 tsp (2.8g) fine sea salt
1tsp (3g) orange zest
14oz (397g) Almond Inspiration
1 cup (240g) heavy cream
1/8 cup (42g) honey
12.25oz (347g) Almond Inspiration
3 1/2 Tbsp (50g) grapeseed oil (Neutral oil should be used, or if you want to impart flavor, almond oil is a good choice.)
Additional Ingredients for Garnish:
AN Toasted or caramelized almonds
AN orange zest or candied orange
AN Dulcey 35% Crunchy Pearls
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and brown sugar.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, scraping the sides of the bowl well after each addition. Then add the vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, combine the molasses and hot water. Stir to combine and add to the wet ingredient mixture.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and salt.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and mix to combine. Add the orange zest and finish mixing just until combined- do not over mix.
- Bake immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days before baking.
- Melt the Almond Inspiration in a microwave safe bowl in 30 second intervals until just melted.
- Combine the cream and honey in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Slowly pour the hot liquid over the melted Inspiration, mixing well after each addition.
- Use an immersion blender to perfect the emulsion and pour into a shallow container and place plastic wrap right on the surface.
- Chill for 8-12 hours before using.
- *Choose a honey with more intense flavor for a better flavor in the ganache. Raw, unfiltered honey or chestnut honey are great options.
- Melt the Inspiration in a microwave safe bowl in 30 second intervals until just melted.
- Add the grape seed oil and mix to combine.
- Use the glaze between 85-95°F (30-35°C).
- Place the cake batter in a piping bag and pipe into small silicone loaf molds (Demarle FP 4394). Fill the molds halfway (about 45g). Bake at 350°F (177°C) for 15-20 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.
- Cool completely before unmolding.
- Remove the ganache from the refrigerator and allow to warm up slightly (about 2 hours at room temp).
- Place the ganache in a piping bag and cut the tip of the bag on an angle.
- Pipe the ganache on top of the cake to cover the top of the cake. Place the cake with the ganache on top in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Hold the frozen cakes upside down and dip just the tops of the cakes in the glaze. The glaze will set quickly, so while stiff soft, sprinkle with almonds, orange garnish, and Dulcey 35% Crunchy Pearls. Serve at room temperature or chill until ready to serve.