BLACK BOTTOM HAZELNUT PIE
An original recipe by Erin McDowell
Photo by Jennifer May
Makes one 9 inch pie
Black Bottom :
61g (1/4 cup) heavy whipping cream
one 9 inch pie crust, blind baked and cooled completely
71g (2.5 oz) unsalted butter, melted
213g (1 cup) packed light brown sugar
191g (½ cup) maple syrup
2g (½ tsp) fine sea salt
5g (1 tsp) vanilla extract
170g (3 large) eggs
255g (2 cups) hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C) with the rack in the lower third of the oven.
- Place the GUANAJA 70% Chocolate in a small heatproof bowl. In a small pot, bring the cream to a simmer over medium heat. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and stir until combined and smooth.
- Pour the ganache into the pie crust and spread into an even layer in the base. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the butter, brown sugar, maple syrup, salt, and vanilla to combine. Add the eggs and whisk to combine.
- Place the hazelnuts into the pie crust, on top of the chocolate, then pour the egg mixture over it. Transfer to the oven and bake until the custard is set at the edges, but still slightly jiggly in the center, 33-36 minutes; the nuts should look lightly golden and the crust should evenly browned. Cool completely before serving.
Tip from the Chef