BROWNIE KING CAKE
An original recipe by David Briand, L'École Valrhona Pastry Chef
Category: Cakes and Tarts
Calculated to make a 21 cm diameter King Cake (for 6 people)
19.5 g almonds
19.5 g pistachios
19.5 g pecans
66.5 g raw cane sugar
47 g eggs
58.5 g butter
33 g CARAÏBE 66% Dark Chocolate
27.5 g all-purpose flour
58.5 g DARK CHOCOLATE CHIPS 60%
24 g cane sugar
24 g all-purpose flour
24 g almond
24 g butter
Assembly and Finishing
2 ea puff pastry sheets
- Roughly chop and toast the almonds, pistachios and pecans in the oven at 320°F (160°C).
- Mix the raw cane sugar with the eggs.
- Melt the butter and CARAÏBE 66% Dark Chocolate. Add the chocolate mixture to the sugar and eggs.
- Add the flour, the nuts and the DARK CHOCOLATE CHIPS 60%. Stir together with a spatula.
- Sift all the dry ingredients together.
- Add the cold cubed butter and mix using an immersion blender until combined.
- Press the cold paste through a wire cooling rack to get regular-sized streusel pieces.
ASSEMBLY & FINISHING
- Place one of the sheets of puff pastry in a tart mold. Garnish with the brownie batter and hide the traditional King Cake figurine (fève).
- Cover with the second sheet of puff pastry. Add the raw streusel pieces on top.
- Bake in the oven at 356°F (180°C) for around 45 minutes.