CHOCOLATE ANGEL FOOD CAKE
An original recipe by Sarah Tibbetts, Valrhona Pastry Chef
Category: Cakes and Tarts
- Combine ½ cup sugar, flour, COCOA POWDER, baking soda and salt. Sift and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip the egg whites with the lemon juice and vanilla extract on medium speed.
- When the whites are at very soft peaks, add the remaining 1 cup sugar slowly in several additions, while continuing to whip the whites.
- When the meringue is at firm peaks but not dry (like thick shaving cream), remove from the mixer and fold in the dry mixture slowly by hand using a spatula.
- Mix just until incorporated to retain the maximum amount of air.
ASSEMBLY & FINISHING
- Immediately and gently spoon the batter into an ungreased pan.*
- Smooth the top lightly and bake at 350ºF (177ºC) for 30 to 35 minutes or until the cake springs back when lightly pressed.
- Remove from the oven and immediately invert.
- Cool completely.
- Before serving, use a microplane to grate dark chocolate over the entire cake.
*Chef’s note: The ungreased pan is important for proper baking of the cake, as the batter needs to stick to the sides of the pan. Once cool, run a knife around the edges to loosen the cake. A traditional angel food cake pan with a removable bottom works best.