CHOCOLATE DIPPED CUPCAKES
Makes 24 cupcakes
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup Valrhona Cocoa Powder
2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup water, boiling
1/2 cup butter
2 tsp instant coffee
1 cup buttermilk
7 egg whites
2 cups sugar
2 cups butter
2 tsp vanilla extract
12 oz (340g) CARAMÉLIA 36%
2 tsp coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (176°C) and fill 2 cupcake pans with liners.
- Place all dry ingredients in the bowl of a standing mixer and whisk until combined.
- Over the stovetop, heat the water, butter, and instant coffee together until just melted.
- Add eggs and buttermilk into the dry ingredients and turn the mixer on low while pouring in the melted butter/coffee mixture.
- Pour ¼ cup of the batter into prepared liners. Bake cupcakes for 18-20 minutes. Cool for about 15 minutes before removing from pan to cool completely.
- In a double boiler over medium heat, mix the egg whites and sugar together.
- Cook the egg whites and sugar to 131/140F (55/60C), keep stirring the whole time, until the sugar has completely dissolved about 5 minutes
- Pour the mixture into a standing mixer fitted with the whisk attachment.
- Beat on low until the mixture becomes frothy. Turn up the speed slowly until the mixer is on high.
- Continue to whisk the meringue until glossy stiff peaks occur.
- Add in the butter, room temperature, one tablespoon at a time while the mixer is on low/medium speed. The mixture will start to deflate and then turn lumpy.
- Add in the vanilla extract. Continue to whip on high once the butter is all incorporated for another minute or two.
- Remove the whisk attachment and place on a paddle attachment (one with a spatula end is preferred but not necessary). Mix on low to release the trapped air until a smooth and glossy buttercream appears.
- Spoon the frosting into a piping bag and cut a dime size hole at the end. Swirl onto the cooled cupcakes and set in the freezer to set.
- In a medium microwavable safe bowl, melt the chocolate and coconut oil together in 30 second increments mixing between each turn. Let the mixture cool for 15 minutes.
- Dip the chilled cupcake into the chocolate shell. Lift and spin the cupcake to let off the excess chocolate. Continue this step with the rest of the cupcakes.
- Keeps up to 3 days.