Cranberry Raspberry Hand Pies
2 1/8 cup (258g) all-purpose flour (soft)
1/8 cup (30g) sugar
1 tsp (4.5g) fine sea salt
1 cup (226g) unsalted butter
1 ea. (50g) whole egg
1 ea. (20g) Egg yolk
1 Tbsp. (15g) whole milk
240g butter (soft)
2 cups (200g) Fresh or frozen cranberries
1/2 cup (100g) sugar
1/4 tsp (2g) orange zest
2 Tbsp (35g) orange juice
1/4 ea. NOROHY Vanilla Bean, seeds only (optional)
2 2/3oz (75g) RASPBERRY INSPIRATION
1/4 cup (58g) whole milk
1/4 cup (25g) confectioners sugar
Additional Ingredients :
20 ea. RASPBERRY INSPIRATION FEVES
AN Egg wash
- Cut the butter into cubes and chill.
- Combine the flour, sugar, and salt in a bowl. Add the cold butter and use a pastry cutter to blend. Mix until the butter is smaller than pea sized pieces. *This can also be done in a food processor, pulsing until the butter is in small pieces but taking care not to over mix.
- Whisk the eggs and add to the mix. Blend until combined.
- Add the milk gradually, adding less or more, just until the dough starts to come together. Finish mixing by hand and form into a ball.
- Flatten into a disc, wrap with plastic wrap and chill for at least one hour before rolling out.
- Roll to a thickness of 4mm and chill again. Cut the dough into 4 inch by 4 inch squares and chill until ready to use.
- Combine all the ingredients in a medium pot and bring to a boil over low/ medium heat.
- Stir and allow the cranberries to burst.
- Once the mixture is fully boiling and begins to slightly thicken (about 5 minutes) remove from heat and cool.
- Melt the Raspberry Inspiration in a microwave safe bowl in 30 second intervals until just melted.
- Bring the milk to a boil and slowly pour over the melted Inspiration, mixing well after each addition.
- Sift the confectioners sugar and add to the mix, blending well and straining if necessary to ensure a smooth texture.
- Use the glaze while warm or chill and gently reheat.
- Place the dough squares on a piece of parchment and place 2 feves of Raspberry Inspiration on one size of the dough.
- Place a spoonful of cranberry filling (about 1 Tbsp/20g) on top of the feves.
- Dip a pastry brush in the egg wash and spread around the edges of the dough. Fold over the dough and pinch the edges to seal.
- Repeat with all the dough squares.
- Place the pies on a parchment lined baking tray. Chill the pies for 15-30 minutes.
- Egg wash the top of the pies and cut 2 slits in the top to create air vents.
- Bake the pies immediately at 400F for 20-22 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Place the glaze in a piping bag and pipe lines of glaze across the hand pies. Allow the glaze to set and serve.