GINGER PRALINÉ SCONES
2 each lemons, zested
⅓ cup + 1 Tbsp raw cane sugar
2 ⅜ cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 ½ cups hazelnut flour
½ cup + 2 Tbsp crystallized ginger, chopped
½ cup + 1 ½ Tbsp ALMOND & HAZELNUT PRALINÉ
½ cup + 1 tsp butter (cold/cubed)
½ cup heavy cream
2 each egg yolks
3 each egg whites*
*Chef’s note: use the extra yolk from the third egg white to make an egg wash with 2 Tbsp of heavy cream.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine the lemon zest, cane sugar, flour, baking powder, hazelnut flour, chopped ginger, PRALINÉ and cold butter. Mix on low speed until the mix has a sandy texture.
- Combine the cream, egg yolks, and egg whites, then add to the mixture. Continue to mix until a dough is formed (the dough will be wet and sticky).
- Using a bowl scraper or spatula, remove the dough from the mixer bowl and spread it onto a sheet of plastic wrap. Cover with plastic wrap and press into a rectangle (this will make the dough easier to roll after chilling). Refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours and up to 1 day.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator. Leaving it wrapped in the plastic wrap, roll it out gently to make a 11x8” rectangle.
- Remove the plastic wrap and place the dough on a cutting board. Trim the edges to create an even rectangle, then cut the dough into 15 pieces (5 by 3, approx. 2x2” squares.
- Place on a parchment lined baking tray and brush with egg wash.
- Bake immediately* at 375ºF (190ºC) for 17-19 minutes, or until scones are lightly browned on the top and edges. Cool and serve.