KIDAVOA CREAM PUFF
Recipe by L'École Valrhona Guest Chef
Category: Cakes and Tarts.
380 g water
120 g whole milk
4 g salt
16 g sugar
200 g butter
300 g all-purpose flour
500 g eggs
875 g milk
125 g heavy cream
160 g egg yolk
200 g sugar
85 g pastry powder (or corn starch)
37 g butter
500 g pastry cream
50 g heavy cream
100 g KIDAVOA 50% MILK CHOCOLATE
- Sift the flour.
- Beat the eggs and strain them through a fine strainer, or mix them.
- In a saucepan, bring the water, milk, salt, sugar and butter to a boil.
- When boiling, remove from the heat and incorporate the sifted flour with a whisk.
- Put back over low heat to dry out the mixture until the dough stops sticking to the sides of the saucepan while stirring with a spatula.
- In an electric mixer fitted with a flat beater, gradually add the eggs until the mixture reaches the desired consistency.
- To soften the choux dough after having added all the eggs, it is best to add a little lukewarm milk to obtain the desired consistency, rather than adding more eggs.
- Pipe the choux dough into the desired shape and size.
- Boil the milk and heavy cream together.
- In another bowl, scale the sugar and pastry powder and combine.
- Add the egg yolks.
- Pour less than half of the boiled milk mixture into the sugar and pastry powder mixture. Mix to combine.
- Pour the bowl of sugar mixture into the pot with the rest of the boiled milk. Stir the mixture as it boils until it gets sticky.
- Remove from the stove.
- Add the butter and mix well.
- Store in the refrigerator.
Chocolate Pastry Cream:
- Melt the KIDAVOA 50% chocolate.
- Boil heavy cream.
- Pour boiled heavy cream into the chocolate.
- Add the already made Pastry Cream to the chocolate mix.
- Mix everything with an immersion blender.
- Store in a refrigerator.
Assembly & Finishing
- Using a pastry bag fitted with a French star tip, pipe the Choux Dough on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake in a deck oven at 200°C (392°F) for 7 minutes with a closed trapdoor, then 30 to 40 minutes at 160°C (320°F) with an open trapdoor and oven door slightly ajar.
- Once Choux Puffs have cooled, cut them in half horizontally.
- Pipe Chocolate Pastry Cream into the middle and sandwich together.