MATCHA LAVA CAKE
Makes 6-8 portions (2.5" rings or ramekins)
Matcha Lava Cake
½ cup (114 g) sugar
3.5 Tbsp (90 g) agave
½ cup + 2 Tbsp (136 g) whole milk
3 ea (136 g) large eggs
1 cup (120 g) cake flour
1.5 cups (144 g) almond flour (or unsweetened fine shredded coconut)
1 tsp (4.8 g) baking powder
2.8 oz (80 g) Valrhona White Chocolate (Ivoire 35%, or Waina 35%)
2 Tbsp (32 g) unsalted butter (softened)
1 tsp (14 g) matcha powder
6-8 ea Etnao Chocolate Inserts
- Whisk together the sugar, agave, milk and eggs.
- Sift the cake flour, baking powder and matcha powder, then add to almond flour (or coconut).
- Add the dry mixture into the wet mixture and mix with a spatula until smooth.
- Melt the white chocolate in the microwave (20 second intervals) just until melted. Add the softened butter and mix.
- Fold in the chocolate mixture into the batter. Chill the batter for at least 4 hours before baking.
- Butter the metal rings and line with parchment strips (or buttered ramekins) and place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Pipe the batter into the rings, about 4 Tbsp., then place an Etnao in the center (do not press down). Pipe a small amount of batter on the top to cover, about 1 Tbsp. Repeat until all the rings or ramekins are full.
- Bake at 400°F for 15-17 minutes. The cakes should be golden on the edges and just barely cooked on top (center only).
- Remove from the oven and carefully remove the rings, then the parchment. Dust with matcha powder and serve immediately.