20 LAYER RED VELVET CAKE
An original recipe by Chef Paola Marocchi
1275g butter (melted)
red food color as needed
3302g All-Purpose flour
105g baking soda
42g baking powder
500g COCOA POWDER
Cream Cheese and Mascarpone Filling
3813g cream cheese
3021g confectioners' sugar
2501g heavy cream
40g vanilla paste
- Mix sugar, eggs and red food color with a whisk until combined.
- Add melted butter on a stream and mix until combined.
- Sift all-purpose flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cocoa powder.
- Mix buttermilk and water together.
- Add dry mixture and buttermilk mixture to egg mixture, starting with dry and alternating between dry and liquid.
- Mix just to combine.
- Portion into 10" molds lined with parchment and sprayed with PAM.
- Bake at 350°F (177°C) for approx 8 min until a cake tester inserted in the middle comes out dry.
- Freeze cake layers as they need to be assembled while frozen.
*Chef’s note: Bake a 1/2 sheet pan of cake for crumbs. Bake fully, pass through robot coupe to crumb and then toast in oven until crispy. Save for decorating.
Cream Cheese and Mascarpone Filling:
- With paddle, beat cream cheese until smooth.
- Switch to whisk, add remaining ingredients at once and whisk until hard peaks.
- Refrigerate for a few hours. Do not make longer than a day in advance as the cream will soften after sitting in the refrigerator for a couple of days.