VEGAN MISSISSIPPI MUD PIE
VEGAN SUGAR DOUGH:
105g earth Balance vegan butter (room temperature)
15g Valrhona Cocoa Powder
80g icing sugar
25g almond flour
45g “Just egg” (vegan egg substitute)
190g all purpose flour
150g Manjari Dark Chocolate
110g earth Balance vegan butter
2 tsp vanilla extract
60g brown sugar
120g “Just egg” (vegan egg substitute)
45g all-purpose flour
20g almond flour
220g coconut milk (15-17% fat)
300g Amatika Vegan Chocolate
2 tsp vanilla extract
200g chickpea aquafaba (liquid leftover from cooked canned chickpeas)
200g icing sugar
- Use the flat beater of your stand mixer to whisk together almond flour, vegan butter, icing sugar, cocoa powder and salt at low speed.
- Once homogeneous, add egg substitute little by little.
- Once all egg is incorporated, add flour little by little.
- Stop right when there are no more dry crumb but do not overmix.
- If you knead the dough for too long (even with the flat beater!), it can retract during baking. Remove from the bowl.
- Cover your dough with saran wrap and let it rest for at least 2 hours in the fridge.
- On parchment paper, spread the 2/3 of your dough until you reach desired thickness (2 3 mm).
- Grease your 20 cm large tart ring.
- Use your tart ring to cut into the dough, discard the dough outside of the ring.
- Remove the remaining 1/3 of the dough from the fridge.
- On a lightly floured bench, spread it, aiming for a 2-3 mm thickness before cutting 2 cm large bands of it.
- Line these bands of dough onto the outside of your tart ring and stick them to the bottom of your dough.
- Transfer the ring with pie dough onto a baking tray.
- Leave in the fridge for at least an hour.
- With a small knife, cut any dough that could be sticking out of the ring.
- Poke the bottom of the dough with a fork.
- Bake for 20 min at 170°C (340°F).
- Remove from the oven, wait 10 min for it to cool down then remove ring.
- In a small bowl, melt vegan butter with Manjari chocolate on a double boiler.
- In another bowl, whisk together vegan eggs, vanilla extract and brown sugar.
- Add melted chocolate and butter to your eggs.
- Finally add sifted all-purpose flour and almond flour and whisk.
- Pour into your baked tart shell up to 1/3 of its height.
- Bake the shell with brownie for 8 min at 170°C (340°F). Let it cool down for at least 10 min before proceeding.
- Melt Amatika chocolate on a double boiler.
- In a small pan, bring coconut milk and vanilla extract to a boil.
- Pour hot coconut milk onto Amatika chocolate and whisk.
- Use an immersion blender to perfect the emulsion.
- Pour onto the tart shell with brownie.
- Let the ganache crystallize in the fridge for at least 2 hours or until hard.
- With a hand mixer or the whisk of your stand mixer, whisk aquafaba with icing sugar to hard peaks (it will become white as well). This should take approximately 7-8 minutes.
- With a piping bag and a round piping tip, pipe on your chilled ganache.
- Keep the tart in the fridge and eat it the same day.
- You can do all the steps up to the meringue and keep your tart in the fridge for a day until you pipe the meringue. However, once you pipe the meringue, you must eat the cake immediately.