WAINA LEMON CAKE
An original recipe by David Briand, L'École Valrhona Pastry Chef
Category: Cakes and Tarts
Calculated to make 24 Cakes
Limoncello Lemon Cake
36 g lemon zest
930 g sugar
720 g eggs
405 g heavy cream
6 g salt
720 g bread flour
13 g baking powder
600 g candied lemon paste
210 g limoncello 30%
225 g clarified butter
250 g water
250 g sugar
250 g lemon juice
70 g limoncello
180 g sugar
30 g honey
60 g water
300 g whole lemon pulp
192 g Waina 35% Chocolate
60 g butter
284 g Waina 35% Chocolate
300 g crème fraîche
300 g heavy cream
60 g egg yolks
120 g eggs
50 g water
14 g gelatin sheets
23 g gelatin powder
60 g lemon juice
90 g honey
250 g sugar
64 g lemon juice
125 g honey
INSTRUCTIONSLimoncello Lemon Cake
- Zest the lemons over the sugar.
- Mix, then add the eggs, cream and salt.
- Sift the baking powder into the flour, then sift this into the egg and lemon zest mixture.
- Mix the candied lemon paste and limoncello, then incorporate them into your flour and egg mixture.
- Complete the mixture with the clarified butter.
- Bring the water, sugar and lemon juice to the boil.
- Once the syrup has cooled, add the limoncello.
- Heat the sugar, honey and water to 365°F (185°C).
- Deglaze this light-colored caramel with the lemon pulp.
- Heat again to 215°F (103°C), then stop and leave to cool to 105-120°F (45-50°C).
- Gradually pour over the melted chocolate, then mix with an immersion blender as soon as possible to create a perfect emulsion.
- At 95°F (35°C), add the butter and mix with an immersion blender.
- Soak the gelatin sheets in cold water to bloom.
- Melt the Waina 35% Chocolate and set aside.
- Whip the cream and crème fraîche to obtain a soft consistency.
- Warm the egg yolks and eggs to 160°F (71°C) over a double boiler with the bloomed gelatin.
- Whip the eggs until they triple in volume then fold in the chocolate followed by the cream and crème fraîche mixture, and gently stir until incorporated.
- Mix the gelatin powder with the first portion of lemon juice.
- Heat the smaller portion of honey with the sugar and the second portion of lemon juice to 230°F (110°C).
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, pour the cooked syrup over the remaining honey.
- Melt the gelatin in the microwave, then pour it over the hot sugar mixture. Whisk until a ribbon forms.
- At 95-104°C (35-40°F) pour the mixture into a silpat-lined baking sheet. Smooth. Store in a dry place.
ASSEMBLY & FINISHING
- Make the cake batter, then pour 160g into a greased rectangular pan.
- Bake at 320°F (160°C) for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Make the syrup then brush approx. 30g onto each cake, before freezing them. Make the ganache and leave it to set.
- Apply approx. 30g of ganache to the top of the cake using a spatula to give it a textured look, then freeze.
- Make the glaze, then dip the cakes in it so that the ganache is covered. Sprinkle on some Opalys 33% Crunchy Pearls before the glaze sets.
- Finish by sticking on marshmallow cubes which you have rolled in yellow-colored sugar, along with some chocolate decorations.
Validate your login
Or Sign In With
Create New Account