CHOCOLATE CHIP BLACK LAVA SEA SALT COOKIE
148g butter unsalted
148g sugar, light brown
5g vanilla extract
252g all-purpose flour
4g baking soda
4g baking powder
3g Kosher salt - fine
106g Milk Chocolate Chips
174g Valrhona Dark Chocolate
Assembly and Finishing
AN black lava sea salt
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, begin the creaming method by combining the butter and sugar and mixing on medium low speed. Periodically, scrape the sides down to ensure an even mixture. Continue mixing on medium-low speed until the mixture is light and fluffy, 10 mins.
- Add eggs one at a time and mix until the egg mixture is thoroughly incorporated into the butter mixture. Scrape the bowl after each addition of egg. Add the vanilla extract and mix thoroughly.
- Add the flour and salt and mix in very short bursts until all the flour is incorporated.
- Fold in chocolate.
- Portion cookie dough as desired and allow to chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- When properly chilled, lay cookies 1.5in apart on a baking sheet, sprinkle black lava sea salt on top and bake at 350F until golden brown on the exterior and light brown in the middle.
- Remove from the oven and cool.
- Allow to rest (or don’t, warm cookies are the best cookies) before serving.