Category: Cookies and bars
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 25 min
Total Time: 40 min
8 ounces butter (2 sticks)
6 ounces Grand Cru Dark Baking Chocolate Caraibe 66%
4 eggs (medium)
1 cup sugar
1 bean NOROHY Vanilla Bean
⅓ cup flour
½ cup walnuts chopped
NOTE: 4 ounces or 8 tbs per stick of butter
Whole Wheat Speculos:
1 cup light brown sugar
2 cups flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 bean Norohy Vanilla Bean
9 ounces butter- cold (2 sticks + 1 tbsp)
1 tbl + 1 tsp milk
4.5 ounces Muscovado sugar
- In a microwave safe bowl melt the Grand Cru Dark Baking Chocolate Caraibe 66% and the butter together in intervals of 30 seconds. (See our "How to temper chocolate" tips)
- Scrape the seeds out of the Vanilla
- Mix the eggs, sugar and vanilla with a whisk until all of the sugar is fully incorporated.
- Add the Grand Cru Dark Baking Chocolate Caraibe 66% and butter mixture into the egg batter.
- Mix well until fully incorporated.
- Add the sifted flour and mix well until all the flour is fully incorporated.
- Lastly, add the walnut pieces and mix well.
- Pour the batter in into a 12x9 in. (aprox) cake pan.
- Bake at 320°F (160°C) with fan on for 20 - 30 mins (45 min without fan).
- Use a skewer to pierce the middle of the cake; make sure that there is no batter adhered to the skewer.
- Cool and cut to portion. Mix the dry ingredients (Except for dark brown sugar in a mixing bowl using the paddle attachment. (You can also use a hand mixer.)
- Add cold, cubed butter to the dry ingredients (mix until the butter is pea-sized).
- Add the eggs and milk to the mixture and combine. Add the muscovado sugar just before the mixture is fully combined.
- Place the dough between 2 sheets of parchment paper and roll out to a thickness of 1/16". Set aside in the refrigerator.
- Once the dough has relaxed cut out into squares shapes (2.5x2.5in) or circles (1 in diameter).
- Place on a sheet pan and bake at 350°F (176°C) until golden brown.