SUNDAE IN MADAGASCAR
Original recipe created by Valrhona Pastry Chef Sarah Tibbetts.
Category: Crèmes and Mousses
Calculated for six servings
¼ cup sugar
1 ¼ cups MANJARI 64% Dark Chocolate, chopped*
½ cup water
½ tsp corn syrup
¾ cup heavy cream
½ each Madagascar vanilla bean
⅓ cup raisins
½ cup dark rum
½ cup roasted cashews, chopped
28 fl oz vanilla ice cream
- Combine the sugar, water, corn syrup, and cream in a sauce pan. Split the vanilla bean in half and reserve one half. Scrape the seeds from the other half and place both seeds and pod into the pot. Bring to a boil.
- Melt the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl in 30 second increments until melted. Remove the vanilla bean and discard.
- Slowly pour the hot mixture over the melted chocolate in several additions, stirring well before adding more. Once all the liquid is incorporated, finish with a hand-held immersion blender.
- Cool slightly before using or chill until ready to serve.
- Combine the raisins and rum in a sauce pan and bring to a simmer over low heat. If using a gas range, take care not to ignite the rum.
- Remove from heat and let cool. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Assembly and Finishing:
- If the chocolate sauce is cold, heat in the microwave in 10 second increments until liquid but not hot. Scoop ice cream into desired dish. Pour chocolate sauce over the ice cream and garnish with rum raisins and chopped cashews.