BI-COLOR MINI CRUFFINS WITH WHITE CHOCOLATE GLAZE
Bake Time: 15 min
Active prep time: 3-4 hours
375g AP flour
125g bread flour
33g unsalted butter (room temperature)
26g fresh yeast or 11g instant yeast
100g 100% COCOA POWDER
250g unsalted butter for lamination (any good quality unsalted butter from your grocery store will do. European style is preferable. If you're lucky and you can find the French blocks of extra dry, 84% fat, even better.)
200g IVOIRE 35% White Chocolate
30g heavy cream
CARAÏBE 66% Dark Chocolate (shaved)
- Combine all dough ingredients, except the cocoa powder and butter for lamination, into a bowl and mix until incorporated. Turn onto the countertop and knead until smooth. Separate 270 grams of the dough.
- Put the pieces of the dough in separate bowls and cover each bowl. Let the doughs rise for 30 minutes.
- Add the smaller piece of dough with the cocoa powder into the bowl of a countertop mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix until the dough develops a chocolate color.
- Flatten both doughs into squares on sheet pans and refrigerate for 8 hours.
- Between two pieces of parchment paper, flatten the lamination butter into a square half the size of the non-colored dough.
- Place the butter on one half of the dough and close it like a book. Roll it out with a rolling pin until it is double the length. Trim any curved edges with a knife. Fold the dough in thirds.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes and repeat step 6 one more time. Refrigerate the book of dough for another 30 minutes.
- After you have done both folds on the main dough, flatten the chocolate dough until it covers the whole book. roll the dough out until double in length.
- Roll the dough into a long cylinder. Cut the cylinder into spiral pieces, about 2 inches thick.
- Place the spiral pieces into greased muffin tins and let them proof for 2 hours, covered.
- Make the white chocolate glaze by boiling a small pot of water and letting it simmer.
- Place a glass bowl on top of the boiling water and add the white chocolate and cream.
- Mix until the chocolate melts and makes a uniform sauce. Let cool on the countertop.
ASSEMBLY & FINISHING
- After the dough has proofed, brush them with egg wash and bake for 15 minutes at 375°F (190°C).
- Once the cruffins have cooled, dip them into the white chocolate sauce and top with the shaved dark chocolate.