BAHIBÉ PUMPKIN SPICE TRUFFLES
Recipe by Chef Sarah Tibbetts, Valrhona Pastry Chef.
Category: Truffles, bonbons and candies
Serving: 60 truffles, depending on size
1 ¼ cup heavy cream
1 ½ cup maple syrup
½ Tbsp molasses
1 ½ Tbsp dark maple syrup
- In a saucepan, combine the cream, molasses, maple syrup and spice mixture - bring to a boil.
- Melt the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl in increments of 30 seconds until completely melted, but not hot. Slowly pour the hot liquid over the melted chocolate in several additions, mixing thoroughly before adding more liquid.
- When all the liquid is incorporated, blend with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Pour into a shallow pan (i.e. 8x10” glass baking dish or similar) and refrigerate until completely set- minimum of 6 hours up to overnight.
- Once the ganache is set, remove from the refrigerator and use a small scoop (1 ¼ “to 1 ½ “) to form balls of ganache.
- Roll the scooped ganache between your palms to form round spheres.
- Return to refrigerator.
Assembly/Finishing (can be done it 2 ways):
- Roll the ganache in finely chopped toasted pecans, making sure to press the nuts firmly into the ganache.
- Roll the ganache in tempered chocolate.
Once the chocolate is tempered (link to tempering chocolate here), in a clean bowl, place 2-4 truffles in the bowl.
Using one hand protected with a glove, scoop out a small handful of chocolate from the bowl of tempered chocolate, rolling the ganache to completely coat.
Immediately place the coated ganache on a parchment paper lined baking tray and sprinkle with chopped toasted pecans.
Repeat the process until all the ganache is coated.
The truffles may crack slightly due to the tempered chocolate hardening.
To prevent this, you can roll the truffles twice in chocolate, adding the pecans after the second coat.