JIVARA COCONUT TRUFFLES
1/2 cup (100g) cream
1/4 cup (50g) coconut milk
1 TBSP (25g) corn syrup
1/4 tsp (0.5g) coconut or vanilla extract
8 3/4 oz (250g) JIVARA 40% Milk Chocolate
10 1/2 oz (300g) JIVARA 40% Milk Chocolate
1 1/2 TBSP (12g) oil*
1 cup-4 cups (80g-316g) toasted coconut (see recipe note)
*Chef’s note: *Neutral oil, like grapeseed oil works best. Other oils can be substituted to impart flavor, like nut oils.
- Combine the cream, coconut milk and corn syrup in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Melt the JIVARA 40% Milk Chocolate in a microwave safe bowl in 30 second intervals until just melted.
- Slowly pour the hot liquid over the melted chocolate, mixing well with each addition.
- Add extract and blend with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Pour into a shallow container and place plastic film directly on the surface. Refrigerate for at least 12 hours (overnight is best).
- Once ganache is set, leave out at room temperature (covered) for around 1 hour just to soften slightly.
- Using a small scoop (#100 scoop which is 3/8 oz works well), place balls of the ganache on a plastic film lined sheet pan.
- Once the balls are scooped, lightly roll between the palms of your hands to perfect the shape. Return to the refrigerator and chill while making the coating (ganache balls must be cold when coating).
- Melt the quantity of JIVARA 40% Milk Chocolate for the coating in a microwave safe bowl. Stir often and do not overheat.
- Before the chocolate is completely melted, stir and take the temperature using a probe thermometer. Heat the chocolate in 5-10 second intervals until the temperature reads 90-92F (32-33C).
- Add the oil and mix well. Use the coating around 88F (31C).
- Take the cold truffles and place several in a large mixing bowl. Add enough coating to cover the truffles completely then roll to thoroughly coat using your hand.
ASSEMBLY & FINISHING