Caramelia Chocolate Mousse
Category: Crèmes and Mousses
Prep Time: 0 min
Cook Time: 5 min
Total Time: 5 min
2 ¼ cups heavy cream
⅓ cup whole milk
2 ea egg yolks
2 tbsp sugar Mousse:
Basic custard (made in advance)
11.5 ounces VALRHONA BAKING CHOCOLATE CARAMELIA 36%
1 tbsp gelatin powder
4 tbsp cold water
2 ¼ cups whipping cream
- Bring the cream and milk to a boil.
- Mix in the egg yolks and the sugar using a whisk.
- Temper the hot liquid into the egg mixture and cook it until the mixture reaches 185°F (85°C) or until it coats the back of the spoon.
- Bloom the gelatin by sprinkling over the cold water and letting it set for at least 3 minutes.
- Take the previously made custard (if cooled, re-heat) and add the bloomed gelatin in the hot custard and stir until mixed.
- In a microwave safe bowl melt the VALRHONA BAKING CHOCOLATE CARAMELIA 36% in 30 seconds intervals until the chocolate is 105°F. (see our "How to temper" tips)
- To create an emulsion pour ⅓ of the hot custard over the melted VALRHONA BAKING CHOCOLATE CARAMELIA 36%; using a whisk, mix to obtain an elastic and shiny texture, then add 1/3 more of the hot custard and continue to mix rapidly to emulsify again. Finish with the remaining 2/3 of the hot custard, making sure to completely incorporate all of the custard.
- Whip the cream to soft peaks and gently fold into the chocolate mixture in 2 additions, taking care not to over mix.
- Gently pour or pipe mousse into chilled 4-6oz glasses and refrigerate for at least 4 hours to set.