COCONUT ALMOND ICE CREAM BARS
An original recipe by l'École Valrhona Chef Sarah Tibbetts
Category: Ice Cream
Prep Time: 20 min
Total Time: 20 min
14 oz. (400g) Almond Inspiration
1/3 cup (80g) oil*
*Chef's tip: for a neutral flavor, use grape seed oil. To impart extra flavor, use almond oil.COCONUT ICE CREAM (optional)*:
1 2/3 cups (330g) milk
1 1/4 cups (238g) coconut milk
1/2 cup (115g) heavy cream
1/4 cup (30g) non-fat dry milk
1/3 cup (50g) powdered glucose
1 tsp (4g) vanilla extract
1/2 cup (115g) sugar
7 ea (115g) egg yolks
2/3 cup (60g) toasted coconut (optional)
ASSEMBLY & FINISHING:
Coconut Ice Cream Bars*
Fine shredded coconut
Valrhona Dark Chocolate
*Chef's tip: The Coconut Ice Cream Bars can be made by piping the Coconut Ice Cream made from the provided recipe or store bought ice cream (approx. 2 pints) into molds and freezing for a minimum of 24 hours. Pre-made bars can also be purchased and dipped, especially if the freezer is not cold enough to ensure molded bars with set enough to be unmolded (-6 to -10°F).
- Melt the Almond Inspiration in a microwave gradually in 20 seconds increments, stirring in between. Once melted, add the oil. Stir to combine.
- Use the glaze at 95°F (35°C).
COCONUT ICE CREAM:
- Combine the milk, coconut milk and cream in a pot.
- Combine the non-fat dry milk and powdered glucose, then whisk into the milk and cook over medium heat until the mixture is warm.
- Separately, combine the vanilla extract, sugar and egg yolks. Whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Bring the liquid to a boil and turn off the heat. Add a small quantity of the hot liquid into the yolks and whisk to incorporate. Add a second addition of hot liquid to the yolks, mix, then pour the yolk mixture back into the pot with the hot liquid. Whisk.
- Return the mixture to the heat and cook over low-medium heat, stirring constantly with a spatula, until the mixture begins to thicken. The mixture should reach a temperature of 183°F (84°C).
- Remove from heat and pour through a strainer into a bowl or container immediately.
- Add the toasted coconut if desired and refrigerate for 12-24 hours.
- Process in an ice cream machine according to the instructions.
- Pipe the finished ice cream into desired bar molds and freeze for a minimum of 24 hours before unmolding. The freezer temperature should be between -6 to -10°F for optimal freezing.
Validate your login
Or Sign In With
Create New Account