ORELYS SPREAD WITH MINI RUM CAKES
An original recipe by Valrhona Pastry Chef, Derek Poirier.
250g eggs (5 eggs)
75g honey (about ¼ cup honey)
125g sugar (about 2/3 cup sugar)
50g almond flour (or finely ground almonds) (about 1/3 cup + 1Tbsp almond flour)
125g all-purpose flour (about 1 cup plus 1 Tbsp flour)
7.5g baking powder (about 1.5 tsp)
120g whipping cream (about ½ cup cream)
50g neutral oil (about ¼ cup oil)
35g butter (melted) (about 1/8 cup plus 1 tsp)
3.5g salt (about ½ tsp)
37.5g rum (about 1/8 cup plus 1 tsp)
0.5 ea vanilla bean (or good extract) (about 1.5 tsp vanilla extract)
158g evaporated milk (about 1 cup)
50g honey (about 1/8 cup + 1 tsp)
25g neutral oil (about 1 Tbsp)
200g ORELYS 35% CHOCOLATE
- Preheat the oven to 320°F (160°C).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, honey, and sugar. Beat well together.
- Add in the almond flour, then sift in the flour and baking powder. Mix to combine.
- Add the cream, oil, melted butter, salt, vanilla, and rum. Mix completely.
- Pour the batter into buttered mini cupcake or other small baking tins.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
*Chef’s Tip: For an added texture, add a crumbled mixture of dark muscovado sugar, flour, and oil to the top of the cakes before baking.
- In a pan over medium heat, combine the evaporated milk and honey.
- Bring the mixture to just under a boil, making sure not to scald the milk.
- Slowly pour part of the mixture over the partially melted ORELYS 35% Chocolate, mixing from the center with a whisk. Gradually add the rest of the liquid, stirring to completed combine and create an emulsion.
- Add the neutral oil. Mix until the spread is full combined.
- Pour into jars or a serving dish and store in the refrigerator.
- Serve at room temperature.
*Chef’s Tip: This spread can be stored for up to 2-3 weeks in the refrigerator.